Tuesday 17 February 2015

Baby, it's Cold Outside!!

If I'm writing that it's cold, it truly means it's Cold! Normally I do love the winter, but by now we usually get a break in the cold.  A little warm spell, a little hope that Spring will come again... someday.  This year it seems like more and more days than not, I'm wearing my heavy-duty winter gear.  My mind is fighting against my inner lazy bear: Must Not Hibernate!!  The elliptical in my basement has been my escape from laziness. Weight is status quo. 

Food-wise my choices haven't been super this past week.  Had some hot chocolate from a Tim Hortons and regretted it later.  Let's call it digestive distress.  Not sure if it was the lactose or the large amounts of sugar or a combo of the two.  Never again.  I can make better tasting and better quality warm drinks at home: Coffee with freshly ground organic beans, or a cup of tea brewed from loose leaves (yep, organic too). 

Looking over my food journals and MyFitnessPal on Sunday, I noticed a bad trend; I've been turning more toward sugar and bready carbs to help "feel" warm. So I went to the store and stocked up on some good stuff and did some food prep for the week: 

-Made some chili with variety of beans and ground chicken instead of beef. 
-Roasted a chicken with a bunch of root vegetables; carrots, potatoes, parsnips, onions and a ton of garlic.
-From the chicken bones, made some stock and made a pot of chicken soup and also made a butternut squash soup. 

There were some nice Medjool dates, oranges and grapefruit on sale, so far they are filling that craving for some sweetness.

Leaving you with a fave song by James Brown that makes me get off my couch!





9 comments:

  1. Sometimes when I want a hot chocolate at Tim's, I do half/half, then I don't experience the sugar high. I can't stomach much of it! :P

    Mmmm... chili. I adore that stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know I'm not the only one! And I didn't even win anything by rolling up the rim LOL

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you have made really sound choices to combat the poor ones you were experiencing. GOOD FOR YOU! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gwen :) Once I saw that trend, I couldn't bury my head in the sand (or the snow!)

      Delete
  3. Excellent food prep, Nikki!! And--one of the best things of all--your awareness level--your ability to analyze and pinpoint what you're doing, is an ability that will continue to propel you forward in positive ways. Excellent work, my friend. Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Sean! Like many, I do regret all those years spent with my head in the sand in denial about my actual food intake. But hey one can't live in the past, only look forward, learn and grow :)

      Delete
  4. Love that James Brown track ..... I'm off my couch !!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to see you blog! Im on the same path

    ReplyDelete