Wednesday 15 October 2014

Unexpected Thanksgiving Challenges

Going to stay in an environment where I have no control over the food in the house is tough. I was surprised at the amount of junk food in the family home.  My mom has regained 30lbs of the weight she lost.  We had a good talk and it's basically she went back to eating convenient and fast food like pizza, Chinese (the deep-fried stuff, not authentic) and pasta.  

She's been having some health challenges, fibromyalgia is the main one, and the pain and fatigue has thrown for a loop lately.  Her pain interfered with her exercise classes and sometimes even walking 15 minutes is too much.  Playing into this is also the emotional... it's been almost two years since my father passed away and where she is in her grieving process she does not say.  She admitted to turning back to using food for comfort.  Sigh... yes, like mother like daughter.  At least she did have lots of fruit and veggies stocked, so she hasn't fallen too far.  I gave her my advice, but just being there for her, listening without judgment, and leading by example are the best things I can do.

Leaves floating on the Lake

Although I tried to keep on my feet and active, there was a lot of sitting and talking with relatives.  And sitting and more sitting. I volunteered to help do whatever chores or setting the table, ect., when I could just to keep moving. My man and I did get out for a walk and luckily enough it was a nice day.


As for my weight post-Thanksgiving, I'm up slightly to 171.0 lbs.  Was expecting a bigger gain but I'm just fine with .4 lbs given all the salty ham I ate!  Really I did keep my portions small, filled up on veggies and fruit, didn't drink too much alcohol and for dessert only had a slice of apple pie.  Yes, just the one :)  

For improvement this week: Hydration! At work, the water fountain is out of order so it's a trek to get to the nearest one. Not a trek really, more like the opening to that old TV show "Get Smart"! At home on weekends, it just seems that I forget. Solution: Carrying a 1 litre refillable water bottle wherever I go. And refill at least once during the day.

10 comments:

  1. only .4 is commendable! :) (sorry about your mom.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gwen. I did my best!
      Yeah it's hard seeing her fall back into old patterns.

      Delete
  2. Up .4 after thanksgiving??? Easily dealt with! Good job! Sorry your mom is struggling - I watch many family members struggle with weight, in the end, all I can be is support.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeedy, I'm not worried about the .4 :)
      That's too bad about your family members. I'm sure they know you'd be there for them!

      Delete
  3. Excellent job at Thanksgiving!! You've inspired me to enjoy some sugar free apple pie this coming Thanksgiving! Nikki--I totally relate with your situation with your mom. I've tried to help, I've tried to influence, I've tried everything I know how to try--and still, she does what she does--So now, I'm resigned to the idea of all I can do is love her and accept that if she's to turn things around for the better--it'll be something that strikes her independent of my efforts to influence and help.
    I need to emulate your water plan. I still choose to struggle with my water consumption.
    You handled Thanksgiving like a pro, Nikki.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for the pie Sean, as long as it doesn't trigger sampling a second slice :)

      It's tough, our mothers have to work it out for themselves, just like we did. When they're ready.

      Delete
  4. That 0.4 is sure to come off as you hydrate. Good job keeping on top of things during the holiday. BTW, that picture of the leaves on the lake is beautiful! I love autumn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Connie! I'm sure the little extra I gained will disappear soon.
      I love autumn too :)

      Delete
  5. Glad you had a good Thanksgiving! We had fantastic weather on the East Coast. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We send the good weather your way Shannon :D Hope you had a good one too!

      Delete