Sunday 15 December 2019

Finding a Routine that Sticks

I've had to work longer hours at the office lately, and will continue to do so until a huge project and presentation is complete at the end of February. I'll reward myself with a nice little vacation then. Soooooo looking forward to that. My biggest challenge is keeping my stress levels down. It's imperative that I do so. Exercise definitely helps with that, but those longer hours make finding room for exercise very difficult.

I've technically been getting 10K or more steps per day. Using the stairs at work instead of the elevator, and taking walking breaks in the building.  But that, combined with clean eating has not translated into weight loss. By the time I get home, it is past 7pm and I have to prep and then eat supper. I should be in bed by 11pm, but that doesn't happen often. I get sidetracked by the interwebs. Or a bit of stress-induced insomnia creeps in.

The only thing I can think of that will fit my schedule is exercise first thing in the morning. At least I can hop on the elliptical I have here, and not have to schlep to the gym in the dead dark cold of Winter. If I can also do a quick DVD workout with weights if too. I'm really not a morning person, but I've got to change this (at least temporarily), knuckle down, and get it done!! That new routine will start Monday morning.

Eating is not 100% perfect by any means, but I've not been binge eating or eating when not hungry. Navigating the Holidaze is always full of pitfalls. Carby and chocolatey pitfalls. I've stayed away from my main trigger food at parties this time of year: namely chips and dip. I just find something to drink, like sparkling water, tea or coffee. And at work, if I get hungry, my first instinct at work is no longer to head to the vending machine for chips. Instead it makes more sense to grab a banana or carrots and hummus, which I always have handy at work. At home, I keep the cabinets and fridge stocked with only nutritious food. I know I feel awful if I eat before bed, so that doesn't happen anymore.  My portions have been too large. I know this all too well.

These next few weeks are going to be hard. This coming week at work with work parties, during and after.  Then two weeks off work, traveling to relatives, in-laws and out-laws, and New Years with friends. At least at my mother's apartment, there is an exercise room.

Interestingly my friend throwing the big NYE party this year had gastric bypass about 2 yrs ago to help control her diabetes and thyroid... but she still serves loads of junk food, or high-fat high-carb food when she hosts parties. She's under 200lbs now, but still has another 30-40 to go.  And another friend just had bypass surgery. In her case, I think that it might not work since she really loves food, especially ice cream. She even has a foodie Instagram!! I hope she can turn things around with therapy, which is required with her program. 

I've never thought seriously of getting surgery myself, since for me my weight is a completely mental issue--overeating junk especially is my default coping mechanism. Building new coping mechanisms, surgery or no surgery is essential to my recovery. Exercise is a big part of this.

I weighed in this morning at 186.1 lbs. So up a tiny bit from last month.

6 comments:

  1. Coping mechanism here as well. I have been forced to feel my feelings rather then burying them in carbs and sugar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feeling stuff can be painful, but it's steps in the right direction!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Stayed the course, and enjoyed time with my family and friends :)

      Delete
  3. Good for you, Nikki!! Glad you are avoiding food triggers and not hitting the vending machine at work.

    RE: your friends post bypass. Sadly, yes, dumping the addictive habits is hard and pushing food onto others is often a co-enabling habit and behavior that lives on, where the full addiction is not fully addressed. Sad and common. Being aware is the first step and kuddos for blogging about it.

    Cheering for you for this month and year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Karen, and thanks for the encouragement! You're one of the few inspirational success stories still blogging :)

      Delete