Thursday 16 July 2020

Just Do Right

Still working from home, and counting my blessings that I have steady employment and income. Cases of Covid are still popping up in clusters here, like from people working in manufacturing/production, those getting together with people outside their "bubble", those hanging out at bars, and larger outbreaks in old age or nursing homes. I heard a couple of friends of friends passed away from it last month--both in their 30s and 40s, both in good health. This is so sad and so scary.

My stress levels have been high lately, mainly because when I have to go out for groceries or essentials, very few people are wearing masks indoors, and coughing like nothing is wrong. That will change soon when it becomes mandatory for those inside any building to be masked up. In many places, I've heard stories of non-compliance, conflict, and violence. Why not wear a mask if it can help protect someone else? I'm doing the right thing, but some simply don't give a flying *uck about others. A friend was espousing conspiracy theories, I told him I'm making him a tin foil hat/mask combo for his birthday--he was not amused. Another Covidiot added to the growing number.

Did I mention stress levels? Yeah. Also I'm pretty worried about my family members, and their health issues. And about going back into my workplace in a month or so. Some colleagues in adjacent sections have in the past have come in to work while sick because their manager hates to juggle who works on the front lines with the public. I'm hoping that manager has wised up?

What happens when stress is up, and I fall back on old coping mechanisms? Weight is up. 197.4 lbs, making it about a 15 lb gain. Why the gain... pretty simple really:
  • I've not been moving much at all.
  • I've binged on crap (chips and cheezies) to eat my feelings.
And I feel so much unhealthier, with an aching back and joints, and being out of breath doing easy tasks, like bringing up a basket of laundry up two flights of stairs. I even look different! My body literally is screaming at me to stop my behaviour. Now.

Plan:
  • Mind:
    +Balance/Perspective: Once a week talking with a counselor over the phone to get help with coping with stress. Thankfully my work pays for some of the sessions.
    +Inspiration/Motivation: Reading a health or fitness book from my collection (Jillian Michaels, Tosca Reno, Dr. Yoni Freedhof, etc)
  • Body: Move intentionally 30 minutes per day to start back into a routine. Even if it's a Leslie Sansone Just Walk dvd!
  • Food: Stick to the food plan devised my nutritionist. It's full of great options and not terribly restrictive.
  • Water: Keep track of intake. It's been slipping downwards and that lack might contribute to feeling hungry when it's simple dehydration.
  • Accountability:
    +Bringing out my old Oprah Winfrey Make the Connection Journal of Daily Renewal and will fill pages from Day 10 to day 92.
    (I'll post the story of pages 1 to 9 next time)
    +Posting here weekly to update 

Getting inspiration in all aspects in my life from the late great Dr. Maya Angelou's wise words. Listen to her version of The Golden Rule, "Just Do Right".



No comments:

Post a Comment