Monday 28 April 2014

A Last Minute Outing

So I didn't have much on the agenda for this weekend and while I was surfing on the interwebs, up popped an ad for Jillian Michaels' Maximize Your Life tour. Took a look and there were some tickets left. Called up a friend and she was willing to go with me. Hopped in the car and drove to Montreal and took in Jillian's show.

If you've read her books and listened to her podcasts, you'll already know a lot of what she talks about in her show. I do have a couple of her DVDs that I do once in a while (but put on mute because her voice is so grating LOL)

A few of parts of her show stood out in my mind. 

The big secret to weight loss:  Eat Less. Move more.

Ha! Simple but so true. Yep, she admits she and others make millions based on just this.

She doesn't mince her words:

It's your fault if you're fat. 

And I have to agree... it's my fault if I'm not in the place I want to be with fitness and weight. I haven't done all the work necessary to lose the excess fat. I can say I'm a work in progress. I'm definitely not in the same place I was at 220+lbs.

Fear is what holds you back from pursuing your dreams.

Will have to think about this one some more.

The Q and A section at the end, she really impressed me with the answers she gave to:

Why can't I finish what I start?
Why are there so many negative people around me?
Why do you ride on the contestants on The Biggest Loser? 
Show us your abs! -- Oh yes she did!

She did her job as a motivational speaker and left me with a few ideas to mull over at home. And gave me a little kick of motivation, even though she says motivation begins with ourselves.

Would I go and see another speaker like Jillian? Hmmm, probably not again soon. It's just not my style. I'd rather learn from books, articles and blogs rather than spend 2 hours listening to someone speak.  

Overall it was an educational and fun night, especially with her sidekick and podcast producer Janice as comic relief.

4 comments:

  1. I wish I lived closer to a big city, you get all the fun acts! :P

    Sounds like she told it like it is. I like speakers who go straight to the point!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you pester her/her people enough, she might head your way the next time she does a speaking tour :)

      Delete
  2. I looooove Jillian Michaels - listen to her podcast all the time (which is why I probably won't go see her show, I think I know what she would say... she talks about the live show a lot). Glad you got something out of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you've been listening to the podcasts for a long while, it is her same style with more structure to the show and a few more swear words :)

      Delete