Tuesday 2 April 2013

Easter and changing the menu


My mom used to cook up a storm for holidays but now she’s changing her tune.  This Easter was a little different. Only roast turkey--no added ham, no sugar and butter in the boiled carrots mashed potatoes and turnip, and much much much less chocolate than in previous years. Yes I wrote she used to ADD SUGAR TO VEGGIES!!
Since our family dynamic has changed, I see how much my father’s influence on the foods we ate really affected us all. He was all for meat and potatoes and only in the last part of his life he’d begun to enjoy leafy green salads. He was also one for insisting on having desserts and lots of chocolaty and salty snacks on hand at all times. This year, my mom baked one pie. One instead of the usual five! I was amazed. She is now finding her way in nutrition and realizing that food does not equal love.  I can say the changes are making for a more pleasant time at the holiday table.

No comments:

Post a Comment