Friday 31 May 2013

Final thoughts on Whole30

I've had a very good experience and will continue with this style of eating. Simply, I feel good.

Like many, for years I've used food to stuff down emotions. That bad habit is hard to break but I'm finding you can over time. My mantra over this past month has been: Food is fuel for my body, nothing more.

At certain times, out of the blue, I would have strong cravings for crappy food like twinkies and fries but I was prepared for that. I knew there would be times when I'd have to make choices. Stay on plan or screw up once again? This article and flowchart about Nutritional Off-Roading helped me.

Summary of results (template borred from Enz)
Pros:
  • I've got more energy throughout the day. Before, my energy levels would rise and fall like a roller coaster. I'm not half-asleep on my desk in the afternoons anymore!
  • No more brain fog
  • I've lost almost two inches off my waist and thighs
  • Complexion is somewhat improved
  • Clothes fit better and can fit into some of my size 13/14 summer clothes
  • Saved money by not buying pricey processed franken-foods
  • Enjoyed trying sauerkraut. No idea it was so good.
  • PMS symptoms lessened greatly
  • Bonus: My man said I had a glow about me...aw shucks!
Cons:
  • My gut really had a hard time if it got an overload of a certain veggie, like kale, which would lead to intestinal unpleasantness.
  • Still having trouble falling asleep at night, so I'll look for other solutions to that problem

So the pros outweigh the cons. Anyone surprised? I'm convinced. Will be adding back in some foods once in a while, but it will be an exception. I'm not looking to go back to old habits. I'm looking forward to implementing these new ones.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nikki! Just found you! Hope you are still doing well!

    ReplyDelete